viernes, 5 de julio de 2013

A bird's eye view of Bogotá

The southern edge of Colombia's sprawling capital of nearly 8 million inhabitants. 
There are 3 ways to the top: walking path,
funicular train, and this tramway.


Where to even start with Bogotá? I ended up spending a lot more quality time with the capital than I had intended, due largely to the wonderful hospitality of my host-family. Before heading south, I had gotten in touch with the Colombians I had lived with in Spain, asking if they had any family or friends that would be interested in meeting up with me. They ended up putting me in touch with their family and a month later there I was, ringing the doorbell of their home. To those who know me, this comes to no surprise, as I've adopted the go-where-you-know-somebody style of travel. I find it a much richer experience culturally to see a place with a local's perspective; to see their daily life, eat how they eat, learn how they speak, and find out what's important from their point of view.




Beya, Susana and me.


Nestled in the Cordillera Oriental of the Andes, Bogotanos live at a lofty 8,660 feet above 
My awesome host and friend, Chacho.
sea level. Rising above the city is a peak called Monserrate, considered sacred by the Muisca indigenous groups that once inhabited the area. When the Spanish arrived, they constructed a church atop this mountain in a symbolic shift of religious authority. Nowadays the site is a destination for pilgrims (some penitents were climbing the nearly 2,000 foot rise on their knees) as well as tourists. I met up with 2 dear friends from my Lost City trek for a reunion hike before Susana headed home to Germany. Perfect day! 



The hour-long hike was a bit more taxing than expected (I like to credit this to the altitude) but what awaited us at the top was a myriad of stalls selling a smorgasbord of delicious (or as locals say: "deli") Colombian cuisine: take a look! 

Here we have: small potatos (papas criollas), blood sausage (morcilla), various stews and beans, grilled corn (mazorca), tamales filled with veggies and chicken, and my favorite: fried ripe plantains stuffed with cheese and a sort of guayaba fruit jam (platanos con queso y bocadillo)
Chicks in the hot tub.






A woman making dough for arepas, a ubiquitous Colombian staple made from corn flour. Sounds simple but the various are seemingly endless. They can be fried, grilled, or baked and stuffed with cheese, meat and/or eggs. Deli. The pots contain different fermented drinks made from fruit, rice or corn.


Knives flying to keep the plates of cheese, bocadillo and arequipe (Colombian dulce de leche) coming!

And to finish it off: Chocolate con queso! 
Hot chocolate with cheese.
Chacho showing us how it's done...

...and me not quite getting it. I think I'll stick to keeping my food and drink separate ;)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario